Thursday, January 25, 2018

Faith in Men

Coming to BSSM, God has been transforming me from the inside out not just in breaking down strongholds and false beliefs but also in redeeming my faith in men. Yes, the male species that we christian girls are so worried about because good godly men seem to be on the verge of extinction. Most decent looking godly men are more often than not- taken. While the rest of the pool are either too young age wise or too young maturity wise. The gender ratio in church seems to also be quite alarmingly lopsided with most christian women either on fire and single or married with a less-than-passionate husband. I'm not going to say it's a sad reality because I don't have a global view on that, however, it's quite natural to see in most churches how there are so many more single ladies than single men.

Before coming here, I seriously almost gave up the potential of ever getting married just because I didn't see any potential man I could marry in my immediate community. Plus the fact that my parents were divorced also didn't help my view on marriage. It almost came to point of remaining single forever, or settling for less-than-best and the latter really scared me deep. I'll rather be on fire, free and super in love with Jesus than to be bounded in a relationship where I struggle in my freedom to worship. Thus, there was not one single option I could see myself actually risking.

But then "heaven invaded earth" and more than an idea or a concept, it became a true fact. A fact that scared me so much, I'd be so afraid that I will wake up one day and think that all of these was just a dream. You see, here in BSSM, we have 1,400 students (more or less) being chosen from a pool of 5000 applicants, so you cannot doubt that God wanted you here for such a time as this. Some people I hear, come to find mates but majority actually come with a deep hunger for the "more" of God. And that kind of aligns all of us on the same page. We don't have to necessarily manipulate ourselves into relationships but chase after God and allow Him to guide and lead us to the right one.  Because in true fact, there is actually tons of attractive, good-looking, godly men out there and we just have to open our eyes and see.

My Revival Group Pastor was on duty for collecting the offering once and he broke off the spirit of poverty over us. Not just poverty over finance, but poverty over our health, career and how we viewed the opposite sex. That changed my entire worldview. I realized that I have always held onto a poverty outlook of the opposite sex because I viewed them through the lens of my father. And that was unfair to men in general. No wonder it was so hard for me to go on dates or just hang out with guys because I'm already building cases against them as a self-defense mechanism before even allowing them in and even forfeiting myself for a great non-romantic friendship.

Here, I see men all around, passionately pursuing God and working on their own identity, that it has really restored my faith in men and changed my negative outlook on them. We can be going to the gym together and I don't feel sexualized. Or we can be ministering and prophesying to another and there is not one tinge of pride or performance in there. No trying to "put myself out there" so I can at least get a chance of "hooking a fish" but total surrender to the will of God in their lives. Including who they will spend the rest of their lives with. That's super romantic.

I on the other hand have to release myself from the tension of having to "marry the first guy I date" and allow the situation to unfold before me because there is beauty in the process. There is beauty in getting to know more about someone beyond the surface and there is beauty in thriving relationships.

And so with that I rest my case. I will leave the pursuit to the man and not try to "man-handle" myself into the arms of the one I think I love, but allow the one God has seen fit for me to pursue me. That takes a lot of faith and surrender.

When we were younger, we always dream of how we will meet Prince Charming and how he will sweep us off our feet and make us look so good with a Knight on our arm. But as I'm maturing in age and identity, I'm beginning to see that it's not so much about me and how my man will make me look good anymore but how I can help him with all my heart and see him walk into his destiny. It is about me making him look good to the world because as they say "Behind every successful man is a successful woman" and behind the scenes, I will love on him so much, it's impossible for him to not recognize his own gifts and walk into his destiny. As I've mentioned before, "I want to be so in love with my man that it would make it extremely hard for me to hurt him". I think this resembles the heart of the Father and that's why I think that it's a risk worth taking. For after coming here and seeing with my very own eyes that there are good godly men out there, my faith in men have truly been restored. (That and faith in myself to allow the right man into the depths of my heart, and I'm praying that it will be the same for you too.)













No comments: